The Canada-Ontario Jobs grant is intended to support Ontario employers to invest in and develop their workforce through employer-driven training.
The program can provide direct financial support to individual employers who wish to purchase training for their workforce:
Employers choose the individuals they would like to have trained, and identify the training that meets their workforce development needs.
It will be delivered through cost-sharing agreements between individual employers and government:
Employer pays at least one-third of direct training costs. Note: smaller employers (50 employees or less) have the option to contribute up to 50 per cent of their required contribution in wages paid to training participants.
Government covers two-thirds of direct training costs, up to $10,000 per trainee.
- Contribute a minimum of 1/3 of eligible training costs
- Employ the individual selected for training
- Be licensed to operate in Ontario
- Be applying for training that is delivered in Ontario and is related to a job also located in Ontario
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act
- Maintain Workplace Safety Insurance or private workplace safety insurance coverage
- Have adequate third party general liability insurance as advised by its insurance broker
- Comply with applicable federal and provincial human rights legislation, regulations, and any other relevant standards
Training must be directly related to the skill needs identified by the employer and the individual(s) who will be trained. Training up to one year in duration will be considered. Training costs to be considered include tuition, books and other required materials, mandatory student fees and exam fees.
- Training must be provided by one of the following third-party providers:
- Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology
- Publicly-assisted universities
- School boards
- Private trainers operating in compliance with the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
- Union-based training centres
- Product vendors (e.g., related to software or machinery)
Each application received for funding under the Canada-Ontario Job Grant is assessed to determine eligibility. Applications may be further assessed to determine suitability and appropriate funding levels.
For further information and assistance, call 519-971-9698